Wednesday, August 1, 2007

SDCC 2007: Weta-thon!

So, truth be told, I don't even remember how it started. I found myself blabbering on and on about cupcakes. With trilobites on them. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I can't help but take a joke from the hypothetical to reality. Thus there I was on Wednesday afternoon, putting chocolate frosting on chocolate cupcakes. I topped them with gummi centipedes and tarantulas because I couldn't find any trilobites. Imagine that. I very nearly ordered a trilobite mold so I could make them out of chocolate. Crazy. Anyway, I popped by the Weta booth at the close of Preview Night with 2 dozen gooey chocolate cupcakes (a half dozen were chocolate-butterscotch ones) and that's what they looked like. They got a little melty in the San Diego heat. Wetabug was kind enough to take the cupcake carrier back to her hotel and wash it, how nice, right?! Apparently, I started some sort of cupcake avalanche at the Weta booth...how terrible. ;) *oh, btw, I stole these pics from the wetaholics site.

Well, since they wouldn't sell me anything on Wednesday night, I was desperate to get there as early as possible on Thursday. First, I made sure to beg Greg Broadmore to sign my "The Battery" calendar. Four Weta artists contributed artwork to it, including Broadmore. I got this from Warren Mahy about a year ago, it was awesome of him to send it to me. :) Mahy was also at Comic Con this year, so I stopped by to say "hi" to him as well. Oh, and yes, I rock. Hahaha...I also bought both Raygun prints. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get there in time to buy #1 of each, but I got #4 and #5, so I shouldn't complain. I picked up a Mahy print as well. When I get a chance, I'll take pics of all these and post them.

While Broadmore was signing my prints, I picked up my pre-ordered mini-Manmelter raygun. I have it in a little plastic case (forgive the crappy lighting in the picture). It's a bit larger and heavier than I had expected. For $30, it was a steal. If you didn't know better, you could easily mistake pictures of it for the full-sized one. I was so busy chatting with someone about something that I didn't realize I should have asked Broadmore to sign the box (fabu design, btw!), so I had to trek on back Sunday like a fool to ask him. I'm a dork. Heh.

More SDCC musings on the way!

No comments: