Saturday, April 7, 2007

IKEA Lighting

Ah, so it's Spring Break and I find myself wandering the aisles at Ikea again. I'm always on the lookout for display items for my collection. Today, I focused on lighting. There is currently no lighting in my cabinets, which is okay since it's a light-colored wood, but still. I didn't find anything that just jumped out and said "buy me," but I thought I would share anyway.

This first one is from Magiker, and it's on clearance right now for $6.99. The arm is adjustable and there's a little flip switch on the front. If the cabinet is too high, though, it might be a pain to turn on. It didn't feel too hot, and if you have just a few open shelves, this might work well for you. Mine are enclosed, though...so moving on...


Next up, the infamous NON lights. These are usually paired up with Detolf cabinets. Unfortunately, though they look good and the Detolf actually has a hole in the top just for these, they run really hot. Beware of using these for extended periods of time if you have polystone. However, the two packs are on clearance for $4.99 if you have a heat-proof display item to illuminate.

This 8W fluorescent Liesta seemed promising. It didn't seem to be hot at all and you can string several together and only have to use one outlet. Since my cases have doors with wooden frames, they might actually be able to conceal the lights somewhat. I would change out my wooden shelves for glass and then only mount two in each case, under the top and under the fixed wooden shelf. The light also looks kinda yellow-y rather than "white." Not terrible for $12.99.


This last one is called Dioder, which sounds kinda odoriffic, but whatever. They didn't have this one on display, so I can't say what the light looks like other than that they have different colors. According to the label, they emit little heat, last 50 times longer than normal bulbs, and can be used in small spaces (they're pretty thin). The four pack will set you back about $40, and it looks like they are all attached to one power cord, so it must be meant for use in very close proximity.

I spent about $60 on stuff for school and organizational supplies...yes, the struggle for storage continues...nothing for my collection. :(

No comments: